Well, we're off to a good start.
I mean that ironically, but not so for my new job. Yes, I'm a cleaner, but one of the first reflections I had while cleaning was how essential is is to feel useful while working. I work at a research facility, so naturally there are layers of management with a CEO at the top (I haven't met her, but I mop outside her office everyday) and I assume menial researchers (or even the cleaners at the bottom). However, if you were to list every employee in order of how essential they are the to running and therefore success of the business, cleaner is pretty high up. I'm not trying to blow my own trumpet, just observing that the respect and appreciation of the cleaner is usually inverse to how useful they are. Thankfully I don't run on praise, I've found motivation in doing a job no-one else wants to do. I'm expected to be somewhere and there are consequences if I don't go, it has value and meaning. It's also very nice to have a routine and some regular income.
No comments:
Post a Comment